For Document Recording Dukes County Registry of Deeds
- All documents must be original, legible and signed or be a legible certified true-attested copy thereof. If required, they must be notarized, and the signer and notary’s name must be printed as well. The expiration date for the notary must be noted and must be legible.
- Property address must be put in the left margin for all deeds, mortgages, unless the address appears on the first page of the document.
- All printing and writing on a document must be of sufficient size to be legibly reproduced on standard registry scanners.
- If the document refers to attached exhibits, the exhibits must be attached and legible.
- Checks for recording fees and excise must be in the exact amount and should be payable to the “Dukes County Registry of Deeds”. Excise checks should separate from the recording fees.
- A self-addressed stamped envelope or an extra $1 per document should be included with documents that will be returned back to you by mail.
- Excise is calculated as follows: $4.56 per thousand, rounded up to the nearest $500.
- All land transfers and any transfers of interest, including leases (of 30 years o r more, including extensions) must be processed through the Land Bank prior to being recorded at the Registry of Deeds. Visit their website at www.mvlandbank.com or call their office at 508-627-7141.
- The “re-recording” of an original document to correct an error or omission is prohibited.
Download a Copy of the Checklist
Excise Tax Calculator
The effective tax rate is $4.56 per $1000 or fraction thereof of taxable value. There is no excise tax due where the consideration stated is less than $100.00.
Consideration of Deed:
Total Excise Amount:
*Please note the above calculator is only an estimate and actual excise tax calculated at the Registry of Deeds may vary from the figure above. Please contact the Registry of Deeds to confirm the excise stamp amount.